Thursday, April 30, 2009

2 week ends

Last week end was interesting. I had 2 very nice teen agers and one almost a teen out looking at rabbits. They were fun and interesting. I enjoyed the visit very much as I remember how the adult world treated me as a 9 yr old getting into rabbits and yes it was in the 1900s. I remember the first man I bought from; he seemed so very old, but his kids were just a little older than me BUT he was so nice and helpful. First he sold me a buck and a doe. I showed the buck for many years and won. This was in the days of showing against all ages, no youth shows. He got my picture into the Sunday Milwaukee Journal. Didn't hurt that I was adorable in a nerdy way with my big framed glasses. They got positive feedback on the picture which made me proud. I still have that clipping framed and in the guest room. Back to those adults I bought from - he decided I needed 2 more young does but I was almost out of cash. He thought it over, went in the house to "talk with the wife" came back and asked how much I still had. I had $11 left AND WHAT DO THINK THE PRICE WAS? Wrong - it was $10, so I left with a dollar still in my pocket.

My next purchase was very different. He ignored me and only spoke to my father. He asked father which he wanted me to have. I said none of them. He said - Aww, am I asking more than you have? What a mistake - I said nope, I just don't want to buy from you and walked to the car. Yepp, a 9 year old smart mouth who even then refused to be ignored. He mush have needed the sale cause he chased my father with offers. Father, surprised me by saying that he was the wrong one to be chasing, it was my money. The next day I went right back to the first rabbitry and spent my money there.

Now I try to treat each child the way I was and make it a experience they will fondly remember.
And I feel I'm doing it right.

This coming week endwill be spent working with adults. I know them all and can honestly say I enjoy each of them for the "unusual" person they are. Yepp, wierd attracts wierd. There will be one youth here and she's very cool and I enjoy her. Plus she is weeding flower beds for me - cheaply too.

No comments:

Post a Comment